I have done a sample board divided into three sections. All three sections have one coat of General finishes Java gel stain.
Third leg is now completed. One more to go. However, I am going to show photos on the next leg from rough to shaped and smoothed. I will explain the process with photos and other bits and bobs as I go through the process. I apologize for not doing so earlier, but I didn’t realize that I just took a photo of the end result. Here is a photo of the three legs shaped out.
Between Sunday and Monday, I managed to get another leg completed. Work is progressing well, thanks to the workbench that I built. It really helps me work better, rather than on the floor or a pair of five gallon buckets. Here is a picture of the pair of legs.
Today was a busy day at my regular job. I managed to get a couple of hours in on getting the first leg squared and laid out the profile and set to work on the oversized blank and managed to get the one leg done sans the mortise. That will come later. Here is a photo of the first leg completed, nothing but a simple taper on one side down to a square at the foot.
I have had a 6′ long by 7″ wide by 2-1/4″ thick poplar slab that I picked up at Atlantic Hardwoods in Portland. I crosscut the board length in half and then ripped the board halves in half to create four oversized leg blanks. The crosscutting was the easy part. The ripping cut was a bit of a challenge since the board was roughly 9/4 thick. It took me about a good 30 minutes of slow and steady cutting, taking my time trying to stay with the line and to not tire myself out.
I am excited to start this wordpress blog about my journey in woodworking with hand tools. Please bear with me as I am new to this site and I’m sure that there will be a few trials and errors in trying to get this site up and running. This will follow the various projects that I will tackle and other snippets of interest as well as a few posts of techniques and whatnots that others people can benefit to.